Friday, March 9, 2007

October 7, 2006

I went back to college this semester. Since mid-August I've been taking two classes. Both are library technology/science classes. On Monday nights is Children's Services and on Wednesday is Audiovisual Services. The Monday class is laid back, and a pretty fun class. The Wednesday class is not so much fun.

The Children's services class has assignments of reading and reporting on ten children's/young adult books, plan a storytime, read a book to a class, and tell a story using some form of media (such as puppets or flannel board). The tell a story part is something I've been worrying about a bit because I'm very unskilled in making things and can't afford to buy stuff. Other than that I've found the class enjoyable for the most part. It's a nice break compared to AV. The AV class might be fun for some people but as for myself and Cindy and Evvette (the two women in the class I do the lab work with), it is not fun at all. Forty percent of the class grade depends on the Performance Exam. It's an approximately hour long test in which the student has to set up, hook-up, and demonstrate how to use several pieces of audiovisual equipment. Thankfully I am registered with the Disabled Students Programs and Services office at my school because I am mentally ill. Part of my special accommodations is time and a half/distraction reduced on any test. Because of this additional time I was able to complete all parts of the exam within the time and a half time I was given for each part of the test. Another ten percent of the class grade depends on the Midterm exam, which I took this Wednesday afternoon. I will update this log when I find out what I got on it. I do not feel I did very good on it. I studied as much as I could until I would lose concentration, which was difficult for me. However, I felt I had a good grasp of the information that had been given to us in the first half of the semester. When I got the test I blanked out. I couldn't remember crap. The Audiovisual class also requires three hours of lab time each week. We've covered Audio players, projectors, video recorders, camcorders, planning an instructional video, digital cameras, and Photoshop Elements so far. The second half of the semester I have PowerPoint, video editing with MovieMaker, publisher, closed captioning, and a few other things to look forward to.

How do I spend the rest of my time? Well Monday mornings I see my therapist at 9am then go to a psycho-education group until noon. On Tuesday I go to a processing group called Living Well from 2pm until 3:30pm. On Wednesday and Friday I go to the social/psycho-education groups from 9:30am-noon. All my free time is spent either sleeping, eating, or sitting at the computer chatting and studying and nodeing. I also go to Disneyland a few times a month. I have a Premium Annual Pass for the Disneyland Resort. I love going there, both with my family or with my friends. I'm going with my family again on Sunday. Last time I was there was last Sunday. The whole park is decorated for Halloween. It's pretty if you like orange and jack-o'-lanterns.
Update 10/13/06:
I got 100% on the performance exam and 94% on the midterm.

0 comments:

Followers

Blog Archive